Saturday, January 14, 2006

Dancin' shoes

Well, I blinked again and my daughter is old enough for her first school dance. Not her first dance, really since she has been to a couple of daddy/daughter dances for brownies - but her first school dance which she attended without a parent.
She showed up with her girlfriends but was meeting her "date" there. She is "going with" a boy she has known since birth. His mother and I were pregnant at the same time, our families attended church together for 12 years. We watched their kids for weekend getaways - they watched ours. I changed his diapers, his mom changed Kayla's. They have been buddies from day one and now they are "dating." As preschoolers, they had a weekly play date after our ladies Bible study - every Tuesday at McDonald's play land. His mom and I wish we could just seal the marriage agreement now....then just keep them to ourselves til after college. Arranged marriages work in some cultures.
Yes, they are only 11 but it's the best time for them to "date." They don't get to go anywhere. They are only together when there are adults around. They have 9:00 bed times. We've decided to let them do their "dating" now and then forbid it when they are 16....
Anyway, I took 6 kids to Applebee's after the dance and they were very well behaved and nice and calm. I dreaded it all day for nothing. I think I will send a note to each kid's parents telling them how well behaved he/she was. Doesn't every parent love to hear great things about their kids?

1 comment:

Beaner said...

We suspect our kids are only rotten with us, but it helps to know that they're decent human beings out in the 'real world'! Glad you had a fun time w/the "kids"!