Saturday, January 28, 2006

How Crazy is that?

I am not a morning person. When I met my college roommate, I knew I had hit the jackpot when she said "no offense, but I hate mornings, I won't be talking to you before classes." Wooo-hooo. It was a match made in Heaven.
Now, though, I fake it with the kids- trying to put on a sunny face to start the day with them. It is about to become more difficult, as we have just decided to let Blake take on a paper route. Weekdays, the papers have to be on the porch by 5:30. He has wanted to do this for a long time and one finally came open for him. Paul and I will help him fold papers the first few days and then drive him around. After that, he will fold and then we'll get up and drive. A small part of his pay check will go to us for gas each month. We're proud of him for his desire to work. He is looking ahead 18 months to when he can drive, and he wants a good chunk of change to put toward a car. Pray for us. We are getting a new Starbucks but I don't know what time they open; I am feeling an addiction coming on.
Paul and I each had paper routes as kids. We are already arguing over the correct way to roll the papers. My siblings and I had a morning route and an afternoon route. My mom still talks about the time she lost her car at 4 in the morning. She forgot to put it in park when she got out to throw the paper and it started rolling away.....
Anyway, it's a good way to learn a work ethic and it's not bad money for a teen. It's easy now because he won't have to actually go to the doors each month to collect.
The timing is good too. I really think this is God's way of giving Blake a new direction and something to make him more responsible - something to exhaust him each day so he has enough energy to do only the things he is supposed to be doing.
What were your teen jobs?

2 comments:

Beaner said...

I was a waitress - it was VERY nice not having to wait until pay day to have some cash on hand!

Good luck with that paper route - and I'll be praying that Starbucks opens nice & early for you!

Chris said...

I can't believe that you're anything but sunny and happy all the time! LOL!

Besides babysitting, I worked in my uncle's carnival, eventually clawing and scratching my way up to games manager...