Monday, January 16, 2006

I recently told somebody that the greatest pain of raising children is when they disappoint you. This after a difficult week with one of ours.
Our son made a terrible choice last night and we are dealing with the consequences. My heart is breaking. His heart is breaking. I told him it was good for his heart to hurt; that is how we learn and remember. I told him to allow himself to cry and feel bad but do not let regret eat away at him until that is all that's left for him to live on. I told him that I have not, for one minute, stopped loving him, and will be with him through every minute of the shame and embarrassment that often come with bad youthful decisions. But, I also told him that he messed up....bad...and I hope his remorse makes him accept his punishment with grace and a willingness to start fresh without anger at us. Each time I suggested we get some rest, he wanted to talk some more. He clung to me like a little boy again.
I have been on my knees until I am numb and I am exhausted. I am desperate to feel peace from this and know that he will be ok...that our family will be ok. I have prayed until my mind is swimming. I am now trying to be still and know....I am listening for The Voice.
Please pray for our family. Please pray for our son - he's a great kid - please pray that this one mistake will not be a pain in his heart forever; that this one mistake will not follow him and allow him to be labeled. Please pray for Paul and me - that our decisions are good ones and that we stand firm with discipline when we see it breaking his heart.

4 comments:

Beaner said...

Boy do I know about BIG mistakes! I am praying! Pride goes before the fall & shame goes after - but God is the lifter of our heads! I have to keep fighting Satan who is trying to use my shame against me, but remind your son that it is SATAN who makes him feel the shame. Mistakes will hurt for awhile, but all he can do is to try to make the next best choice...and then the next....and so on. And he's not alone!

HW said...

Thanks, beaner.
When I think of you I think of the word "courageous." Really! Your words mean a lot and I will definitely talk to him about just moving on to make the next best choice and so on.....

Beaner said...

Thanks - now you went & made me cry!!!

Chris said...

Definitely will be praying for all of you...