Thursday, January 12, 2006

My subject today is sitting in front of my screen, occationally chasing the cursor, staring at me as though I'm invading his space. Boomer is a really unique cat. He weighs 23 pounds and bullies the dog and the other cat, but only when it comes to food. He actually blocks the dogs path when she tries to get to the laundry room where the pets eat. Other than that he's a real... well pussycat. I've had preschoolers over here that carry this cat around for hours - upside down, sideways...they push on him to keep him in their laps while they watch tv and he just lets himself hang there until they're done with him - kind of like a big tolerant dog is with puppies.
Boomer had a rough start in life. Our vet (Cats Only) rescued him from the humane society when he was so sick he could barely hold his head up. We chose him instantly and it took her 2 weeks to nurse him back to health before we could have him. His tale has a blunt tip where something or someone lopped off the point when he was tiny. He has issues with food but I can relate. He tolerates my husband but clearly dislikes him. The other cat runs when Paul enters the room. Boomer holds his ground, just staring and blinking as Paul yells at him to get out of the sink, or off the bed, or out of the shower, or off that pile of laundry. The cat almost always wins; Paul walks away or finally grabs him and tosses him out.
Anyway, Boomer is getting a new cat door today. We wanted to be able to close the laundry room door and still allow the cats to get to the litter box (a vital issue!) We could not buy a cat door, however due to his size, so we had to by a dog door for "medium dogs up to 4o pounds."
Paul's comment yesterday probably indicates his feelings for the cats - something about burying them in the garden...but I don't think he wanted to wait until they died. This animosity might stem from the fact that I got these TWO cats to replace ONE cat. When Columbus didn't return one morning, I sort of promised the kids they could each pick out a new kitten. This happened when Paul was out of the country and I sort of didn't consult him on that decision. I'm sure he likes it better when I redecorate a room when he travels.....
But truly I know Paul would do just as much to keep my cats healthy as he would our dog, because he knows Kayla and I love them - a very simple example of that sacrificial love that comes with marriage. I love that kind of love and pray daily that I am worthy of it and that I exhibit it.

1 comment:

Paul W said...

You are certainly worthy of it, and it was you that I have modeled it after, so certainly you exhibit it every day!!

However, you never know what might happen if I am ever left alone for a few days with the cats.....