Tuesday, March 04, 2008

A LETTER TO WAL-MART

Dear Man Who Runs Our Local Wal-Mart,

I do not profess to know much about running a giant superstore with millions of locations that serve to ruin small business owners everywhere.

I do, however, know quite a bit about shopping in said giant superstore; although I've earned that knowledge quite reluctantly, being drawn in like so many other helpless shoppers by your lower prices.

I also possess a fair amount of common sense.

And that is why I just have to ask you this question.

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

What were you thinking yesterday when you decided to have nearly every aisle in your store blocked by store personnel stocking shelves, rearranging items, and yes, even just standing around talking about the weather?

In some aisles, though, there was no dedicated staff member working on the shelves. No, there was just a pallet of boxes, parked across the aisle causing traffic jam after traffic jam.

This was a poor plan, for a few different reasons, and I, being the helpful person that I am, would like to point these reasons out to you so that you can learn from your mistake and move forward in your quest to please your customers. You ARE on a quest to please your customers, aren't you?

First, yesterday was the first Monday of the month. Most people had received a paycheck over the weekend, either from their jobs or from the government. That means the store was going to be crowded. You really should have known that. One look at the calendar and you should have been able to predict a fairly large crowd of shoppers. One look at the calendar and you should have said to yourself "HMMMM...It's the first Monday of the month. That means we will be busy. Maybe we won't stock shelves this morning. Let's wait until the crowd thins."

Second, there was a snow storm brewing. Surely, you know that when a snow storm is predicted, people come out in droves to buy bread and milk. Anybody who has lived here for any length of time knows that. It doesn't matter if we don't need bread or milk; if snow is coming, we go out and buy more bread and milk. And maybe eggs. Do not try to understand this. Just accept it. Again, this prediction of inclement weather should have made you say to yourself "HMMM...winter weather is coming. That means we will be very busy today. Maybe we won't stock shelves this morning. Let's wait until the crowd thins."

Third, the shelves did not appear to be in need of stocking. In each of the aisles where I was actually able to squeeze in and pick up a couple of things, it looked as though your staff was having to make room for the things they were pulling out of the boxes. As I stated before, I don't know much about running this kind of operation; but that seemed like a lot of wasted effort.

Fourth, your crowded, sloppy aisles prevented me from spending more money at your store. Yes, I grew weary and left the store before buying several items I knew I needed. Because I did not want to battle your boxes and pallets any longer, I came home without ziploc bags, string cheese, napkins, and pine-sol. See? If your store was easier to navigate, people would stay longer and spend more money.

I will not threaten a boycott of your store because we both know I would never follow through.

But, come on!!

Things are getting a little ridiculous in your aisles there. Let's try to improve things just a little.

M'kay?

I'm certain you will read this letter and act immediately to improve things; and I will be glad to help you any time I can when I notice further shortcomings.

Sincerely,
HW

2 comments:

Susiewearsthepants said...

Shouldn't they be stocking on third shift anyway? I mean, if I was in charge, I would schedule all the stocking for the LEAST busy time. Alas I probably know not of which I speak.

HW said...

Susie,
EXACTLY. But, notice I addressed my letter to the MAN who runs Wal-Mart?
Enough said.