Monday, March 24, 2008

NOTES FROM NASHVILLE - PART IV - THREE DRESSES

Does anybody know where I can buy a tube top?

'Cause I'm gonna get one of those glamour portraits done and I want to wear a tube top, frayed Daisy Duke shorts, cowboy boots and hat, and big ole hoop earrings the size of saucers.

Oh! I'M KIDDING.

I'd never wear a cowboy hat.

Seriously, I want a tube top so Kayla can wear it under one of the THREE dresses I bought her in Nashville. It has a v-neck. A REEEEEEALLLLLY V-ish V neck. So I thought a tube top would solve the problem without my having to take the dress to the seamstress. The seamstress is very good, but frankly, I'm a little scared of her. We'll talk about that later.

So, yeah. I bought my daughter THREE dresses in Nashville. But it was at an outlet mall. And the prices were really good. And we have two weddings, a retirement ceremony, 8th grade graduation, and a spring dance to dress for. Normally I'd add "plus church," but since our church is very casual she probably won't wear them to church.

Anyway we got these dresses at a store called The Body Center. Or Body Central. Or something questionable like that. I was offended immediately upon coming to the entrance because they had failed to dress one of the mannequins. And that's just wrong. But we went in anyway.

And found all sorts of cute dresses for her to try on. I kept yelling through the dressing room door "I'll be right back. I see another one you need to try." And yes I had to yell, because the music was ridiculously loud.

I could not get away from loud music on that trip. Is that why they call Nashville "Music City?"

But, I digress. I had to convince my daughter to let me buy her three dresses. She kept saying, "But I don't think I need three and I don't want you to spend the money." And I kept saying, "The prices are great, and we have all sorts of events this spring. Let's just get 'em." Of course I had to have a similar conversation with her father when we met up with the boys, but he's a good sport.

So other than the extreme v-neck issue and the need for a shrug or two, and some brown shoes for one of the dresses, and a little brown clutch bag, and the proper jewelry for each dress, we're all set.

Good thing it was an outlet mall.

7 comments:

Beaner said...

I think girls wear cami's underneath v-necks. And I think the color has to be bright & totally opposite of the dress color.
But I'm not sure cuz I'm the old lady at my office - and I'm clueless on fashion!!!

Susiewearsthepants said...

I bought a couple of really cute shirts today in Nashville. I had the same issue with the "V" neck. I bought a tank top to wear underneath so my little unmentionables won't be scandalously exposed. For some reason, all the clothing stores seem to think loud music will make you want to stay longer and buy more. The opposite is true for me.

HW said...

I don't think a cami or tank will do the job here because I think the straps/sleeves will interfere with the sleeve of the dress. But we will go that route if I can't find a tube top.

NinjaPrincess said...

*deep breath*

Not that I'm a huge fan of them or anything, because I'm not, and I only get the catalogue because I got a credit card there one time because Beaner made me, or actally, she just told me that their bras were the most comfortable bras in the entire world, and I think she was right, and I ended up buying three, so I needed to get the credit card to get the discount to buy the ridiculously expensive, ridiculously comfortable bras which I may or may not still own five years later, so obviously I'm not fanatical about them or anything, they just send me the catalogue because of the credit card, and I just looked through it because I was bored, and I'd never buy their completely indecent clothes, except for maybe that really cute pink & orange polo I saw, so um, you might try the Victoria's Secret catalogue.

*phew*

HW said...

Wow! Maude -

You are just a fountain of information for me on this here blog. I appreciate all the input and suggestions. I will now try to find a tube top at Victoria's Secret for my 14-year-old daughter. Of course, it'll probably cost more than the dress, but something HAS to be done about this neckline. I'm also gonna check Deb (or is it THE Deb?)

Beaner said...

Maude - I almost spit out my coffee just now!!!

I just re-upped my card membership there!!!

Kandi said...

I'll second victoria secret for the tube top... I was just looking through their clearance tops and they had several tube tops for $10 and under. Check there.
And I agree they do have very comfy bras. :) that comment amused me.