Saturday, March 29, 2008

TO MY DEAR HUSBAND

Dear Husband,

I do miss you and hope you're trip across the pond is going well.

When you called just a little while ago, did I seem a bit distracted? Because I was. See, it was nearly 7:30 p.m. here and I had not eaten supper yet, and for lunch I had eaten only half a sandwich and a fruit and yogurt parfait. And those fruit and yogurt parfaits have gotten quite small.

I had just walked in after getting groceries from Sam's AND from Wal-Mart, on a Saturday evening no less. Being alone on a Saturday night will make you do crazy things. On my way out of the Wal-Mart mega plex, I had driven through Burger King and bought myself a Whopper Jr. (no cheese, thank you very much) and a small root beer. And there that Whopper Jr. was sitting on the counter smelling all greasy and delicious and tantalizing me to the point of being distracted from even my dearly beloved. So while I am thrilled you arrived in London safely, and always weak with relief to hear your voice, I kept staring at that fast food sack and thinking "It's getting cold...it's getting cold...."

I know. Some might think this makes me a horrible wife.

But, come on.

You have traveled for most of our nearly twenty one years of marriage so, while having you gone is something I will NEVER get used to, life must still go on while you are away.

Right?

And sometimes that means letting things like, oh, hunger pains and junk food distract us from what really counts.

So, please forgive me. Although, since you assure me quite frequently that it is impossible to hurt your feelings because you have NO feelings (your words, not mine) perhaps I am worrying over nothing. But, if it is any consolation, I am expecting to have an upset stomach tonight from that greasy burger. So perhaps I will receive my just rewards for being distracted while on the phone with you.

Enjoy your time with the Brits. And the French. And the Germans.

Cheerio, Au revoir, and Aufweiderzehn.

Love you,
H

5 comments:

Beaner said...

Mine is away this weekend as well, although not on business, although we did plenty of that back in the day too, although I couldn't handle the 2 kids on my own back then so I went up to my parent's house........so, anyway....I kinda understand.

Oh...and we say Dwight is "dead inside" because I've only seen him cry once since we've been married & I think it was while we were watching 'Forrest Gump'. ;)

Susiewearsthepants said...

A woman has to keep her strength up while her man is away.

HW said...

Beaner -
Yeah, when I apologize to Paul and ask if I've hurt his feelings, he always says "no, I have no feelings."
When he traveled when the kids were little, I tried going to the parents' once or twice but I found that it was easier for us to stay home and in our own routine. Except for that time I spent the night in the ER with Kayla and Paul was in Peru. I'll have to blog about that sometime....
But it's nice to know somebody understands the life of a "left at home mom"

HW said...

Susie-
Does that mean it would be ok for me to bake up some of that cookie dough I bought? FOR THE CHILDREN OF COURSE. I mean I do need the extra energy....

Paul W said...

1. Of course, I didn't pick up on your distraction.
2. Of course, I'm not offended. What does that mean anyway? Offended?
3. I was just as distracted, as a cold adult beverage was awaiting me after we got off the phone.

Pauley