Saturday, March 22, 2008

WHAT IS YOUR SIGNATURE BAGEL?

*just a brief departure from the ever exciting Nashville series to ask this all important question:


What is your signature bagel?

My husband hurt my feelings this morning when he said "....but nobody likes the French Toast bagels." And I said, with great maturity and sophistication "Uh....*I* like the French Toast bagels. How can you NOT know my signature bagel??? I know YOUR signature bagel....Cinnamon crunch. I mean, how many times have you heard me say 'get me a French Toast bagel, that's my favorite?'" I mean knowing your spouse's favorite bagel is, like, REALLY, important, don't ya think?

We have kind of started a habit of buying a box of bagels from Panera every week or two. You get 13 in a box and it's nice to have them on hand for a quick breakfast or snack.

The trick is finding the precise balance of bagels, flavor-wise, so that everybody gets what they like. I, being the ever astute and attentive wife and mother that I am, pride myself in knowing everybody's favorite bagel

Dad likes cinnamon crunch.

Kayla likes cinnamon crunch; although she used to be a plain bagel gal. She is a new convert.

Blake likes blueberry.

Mom likes French toast.

Except. Sometime in the middle of the last bucket-o-bagels, Blake snatched one of my French Toast bagels and decided he liked those as well. And, to further complicate matters, I ate part of a blueberry one that we had pulled from the freezer, just yesterday morning, and decided it was pretty good. See? Things around here are oh so complicated.

So yesterday while we were on our Saturday afternoon date, i.e. running to Sam's and Walgreen's, I decided to run into Panera and buy a bucket-o-bagels for the upcoming weekend.

I bought 7 cinnamon crunch, 3 blueberry, and 3 French Toast. I did not really expect the bagels to last much longer than tonight because there was an extra teenage boy in the house and would probably be a spare girl in and out as well.

So this morning, when Paul and I returned from our walk Blake said to us "Hey guys, I ate one of those things that's like a bagel but doesn't have a hole in it. And it was covered with all this crunchy cinnamon stuff. Is that a bagel?" And I said "Yes, it is a cinnamon crunch bagel." And he said "Dude! That was awesome. I'm eating those from now on." So I said "Ok. Let me get this straight. You used to like blueberry. Then you snatched my French Toast bagels. Now you're telling me that you like Cinnamon Crunch?" And he said "Uh, yeah." So I immediately started calculating how many cinnamon crunch I'd need to order the next time I went to Panera.

See? My life is extraordinarily complicated.

It is really hard to be me.

THEN. I poured myself a cup of coffee and went about picking up all the things that didn't belong in the kitchen. I heard the beep, beep, beep of the microwave, and looked up to see Blake putting TWO French Toast bagels in to warm them up. TWO WHOLE FRENCH TOAST BAGELS. After he had just finished a Cinnamon Crunch bagel. So I whispered to Paul and told him that our son was eating TWO MORE bagels. AAAAAANNNND. They were MY bagels.

Where have we gone wrong?

So, what is your signature bagel?

4 comments:

NinjaPrincess said...

What's a bagel? Is it in any way related to a Cheerio?

:)

Beaner said...

Cinnamon Crunch - they are awesome with a huge slab of butter on them.

Valerie S. said...

Hi there. I dropped in from Ree's and thought I'd leave a quick comment. I personally think Panera has the second best bagels I've ever tasted. Einstein, in my ever-so-humble opinion, has the best, but the stores are so hard to find. That asiago cheese bagel from Panera . . . mmmm! Anyway, my signature bagel is an everything bagel with light cream cheese and a slice of raw onion on top. I was turned on to this by a friend several years ago and it's my absolute favorite. I wanted to comment because I was kinda hoping someone else might say that they like theirs this way, too, since I've never heard of anyone else eating them like this except for me and my friend. Take care!

Susiewearsthepants said...

OMG.....the bagel blog brought everyone out! I am a blueberry girl I have to confess. Regular cream cheese works me....I'm a simple gal