Wednesday, August 20, 2008

BECAUSE I'M A REALLY GOOD MOM...

At Wal-Mart today I put a bag of red seedless grapes in my cart and, when I started to walk away, another bag of red seedless grapes somehow grabbed hold of my cart and went right along with me, dropping small clusters of red seedless grapes in a trail behind me.

I hate Wal-Mart.

Luckily I noticed the tag-along grapes very quickly and stopped to pick them up and untangle the bag that had latched itself onto my cart. I think I only smashed one lone grape.

Anyway, I put all the grapes in the bag and looked AAAALLLL AROUND for a produce person so I could confess my wrong doing and make sure nobody bought the red seedless grapes that had been on the floor at Wal-Mart.

Because we all know how sanitary that floor is.

I honestly wanted to turn myself in because my brother is a produce manager at a Wal-Mart and I want to respect produce managers everywhere. Sadly there was no produce person to be found, so I made a big show of looking disappointed and concerned, in case anybody was watching me, and set the grapes among the lemons, thinking nobody would want them if they were among the lemons.

I don't know why I thought that; I just did.

Just let it be known that I tried to hand over the soiled grapes.

But that's not the point. The point is that the whole grape debacle would not have happened if I had not felt so guilty about having filled my cart up with junk food filled with high fructose corn syrup. I feel it is my duty to support the high fructose corn syrup industry because my husband's company manufactures it. Like I've said before, it's not good FOR us but it's been good TO us.

See, I only put the grapes in my cart so I would have something nutritionally redeeming when I paid for my groceries.

Because I at least want to LOOK LIKE a good mom.

I knew when I went to Wal-Mart that, along with my fat free cheese, apple juice, cranberry juice, ground beef and laundry soap, I would be buying lots of Little Debbie Snack Cakes; because, as I've mentioned before, my kids love Little Debbie. LOVE. HER. I bet at least one of them will name their first daughter Debbie. Or maybe Star Crunch.

Blake likes the Strawberry Rolls and the Donut Stix. Kayla likes the Cosmic Brownies. Cosmic Brownies have little colorful candy chips on the icing which I pick off when I eat a Cosmic Brownie. Actually, though, I myself prefer the Walnut Fudge Brownies because the walnuts surely have enough protein in them to qualify as a healthy, muscle building snack.

So I scooted through Wal-Mart hoping that if anybody I knew saw me, they would focus on the grapes and the fat free cheese and not the tower of snack cakes tottering inside my cart.

Now, before you all judge me for the abhorrent eating habits of my family and start pelting me with organic tomatoes; let me just say that my son is 5'11" and weighs 135 pounds. Believe me, he eats lots of meat and fruit and, well, okay just SOME vegetables. And he drinks a ton of milk. He gets a well rounded diet. But the kid is a stick. If he wore vertical stripes he'd look like a drinking straw. So I figure with his cross country running, his weight training and his wrestling he can tolerate a couple of sugary snacks a day.

And my daughter? Well, she just has a darling little size 5 figure and stays active with softball and basketball and running around with her friends. I suspect her Mall Time each week burns lots of calories. She also has pretty good eating habits. Thus, my willingness to keep sugary snacks in the house. They both eat them in moderation.

But I still felt a little sheepish pushing my cart through Wal-Mart loaded with enough sugar to keep a five year old hyped up for days. And of course the checker had to make a comment - "Wow! You do my kind of shopping." And I don't think she was talking about my cranberry juice.

So I'm working on a sign for my grocery cart:

MY OTHER GROCERIES ARE ORGANIC.

10 comments:

Jody said...

LOL too funny. My hubby and boys now do grocery shopping with me and some how those snacks get in the cart. I know a lot of it is my hubby shh LOL.

Susiewearsthepants said...

I let each of the girls pick a box of Little Debbie when we go shopping. I hide mine amongst the fruit, yogurt and cheese that I buy. Then I go through the self check out aisle so that the clerk will not even get the chance to look at me with condemnation in his/her eyes.

HW said...

Jody -
My hubby is NO FUN at the store. He censors the list pretty carefully. That's why the kids like me to do the shopping.

Susie -
Or you could put "your" snack cakes on the counter and say "Hmmm, girls I didn't know you put those in. Alright, you can get them just this once...."

Susiewearsthepants said...

P.S. I almost forgot. "My other groceries are organic"......too funny!

Ami said...

I dunno. My feeling is that if you're buying what my hubby calls orthopedic cheese, that cancels some of the other stuff out.

Sorta like eating only broken cookies because all the calories leak out... or drinking diet soda with a really fattening meal.

It all balances.

:D

HW said...

ami-
Definitely agree with your logic. Broken cookies are not fattening. Nor are Girl Scout cookies because they support such a worthy cause.
Hmmm. Suddenly I'm hungry.

Kandi said...

That's too funny about the grapes. I won't tell you about the time I went into the grocery store to get eggs with a friend... she was down the aisle from me and I grabbed the first carton I saw but it wasn't latched shut... and the weight of the eggs on the side that wasn't latched made them teeter and several kinda fell out of the carton and onto the floor causing much commotion. My friend heard, looked my way and said "What did you do?" I said "nothing" and we both high tailed it out of the store without anything.

Anonymous said...

Going with your organic sign theme, I would make one to put on my car as I hit the McDonalds drive-thru

"Yesterday's dinner was healthy"

Paul W said...

HW: My hubby is NO FUN at the store. He censors the list pretty carefully. That's why the kids like me to do the shopping.

PW: What's wrong with saying, "In and Out, Nobody Gets Hurt" everytime we go to the store? I think that's really funny.

btw....I read in a book yesterday (same author as from last summer's riveting choice - The Omnivore's Dilema) that you shouldn't eat anything that contain:

1. Unfamiliar Ingredients
2. Unpronounceable Ingredients
3. More than 5 Ingredients
2. High Fructose Corn Syrup

I guarantee every Little Debbie item has 45 Ingredients, 2 of which can be pronounced by the average consumer.

HW said...

paul w -
Honey. Come on. Stop eating high fructose corn syrup? Why, we'd be (not) eating ourselves right out of a very comfortabel life style. We couldn't send our kids to college. I couldn't eat Oreos...

Tell ya what. We'll give up HFCS if YOU tell our two teenagers that Little Debbie is no longer welcome in our house. We both know how well THAT will go over.

Those books you read are so unrealisitic...