Monday, August 25, 2008

THE DAY MOMMY LOST HER MIND - PART II

I am a mother who sees danger at every turn.

Some of my neuroses come from actual life experiences. For instance, my kids are not allowed to play "Dizzy Izzy" - that game where you put your head on a bat and spin in circles and then try to run a straight line. My brother received a severe head injury playing that game, so no dizzy izzy for the W kids.

I was also always scared of balloons. Oh, my kids got to have them but I let them fly away pretty quickly because they are a severe choking hazard and, after hearing of a distant family member who lost their FIVE YEAR OLD from choking on a balloon, I pretty much banned them in our home.

I wish I could convince my daughter to wear a face mask and chest protector IN THE FIELD during softball games because, as a pitcher, she could get injured by a line drive. Plus I totally don't want to have to pay for braces because thus far she doesn't need them. But she is SO not going to wear that gear unless it's required so I don't push the issue.

I do keep a roll of bubble wrap in the van in case I can convince her to let me wrap her in it before each game. So far, no luck.

We used to have a couple of bachelors that hung around the house in hopes of receiving meals. They were so incredibly good to the kids when they were little - so natural and hands on. But they used to pick them up by their hands and lift them high into the air. And I always saw dislocated shoulders when they did that; so I'd say "watch his arm sockets," and the bachelors and Paul would laugh at me. To this day, when we see the bachelors they say "Watch those arm sockets!!" to this paranoid mother.

So when my kids went through a phase when they were constantly playing around the doors of our house - one trying to shut it while the other tried to open it, I saw an orthopedic tragedy in my future. Sometimes they would fight at the door: "Let me in!!" "No, it's my room - stay out!" as they pushed and pulled trying to invade the other's space or keep the other out. Sometimes it was done in a playful mode: "No, you can come in when the surprise is ready!"

And I used to march down the hall and say "Don't play around the door like that, you will smash your fingers!"

But something about pushing against the door while their sibling was pushing the other way, was extremely satisfying to my children. To think I spent all that money on Little Tykes and Fisher Price when they would have been happy with a door.

Finally, one day I had reached my limit with playing around the doors. I think Daddy was out of the country, but I'm not positive. It just always adds a little bit of a dramatic element if I can say "Of course Paul was out of the country." Woe is me.

So the kids were each standing on one side of a bedroom door, pushing with all their strength, one wanting in, the other trying to keep them out when...Mommy lost her mind.

"THAT'S IT! I HAVE TOLD YOU A MILLION TIMES TO STOP PLAYING WITH THE DOORS. YOU SERIOUSLY COULD SMASH A FINGER. LET ME SHOW YOU WHAT COULD HAPPEN..."

And I went to the kitchen and brought back a plain yellow No. 2 pencil. "This could be your finger if it's smashed in the door." And I put the pencil in the door and slammed the door shut on it. When I opened the door, there was a pathetic jagged half pencil in my hand.

"THERE! THAT'S WHAT YOUR FINGER WILL LOOK LIKE IF IT GETS SMASHED IN THE DOOR. MAYBE ALL OF YOUR FINGERS. DO YOU WANT TO GO THROUGH LIFE WITH NO FINGERS ON ONE HAND? IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT TO HAPPEN? IS IT?"

Because I think object lessons are excellent ways to teach our children in a reasonable, gentle, non-threatening manner.

And I'm sure in their precious little minds, they pictured little finger fragments scattered on the carpet and tried to imagine how in the world they would hold a Popsicle with no fingers.

In my demented state I saw little fragments of my mind scattered on the carpet and wondered how I was going to hold on to my sanity with no chocolate in the house.

4 comments:

Susiewearsthepants said...

I must say I find this series extremely funny, and entertaining. You were always so creative, I could never come up with ideas like that. Question...Are you a "Dead in a ditch" mother? You know, constantly telling how if they are not careful they could wind up "Dead in a ditch". I was just wonderin'cuz, I MAY know somebody like that. Yeah that's it, a friend of mine.

Jody said...

LOL. Sounds like something I would have done and said. But for me of course I have one son (my youngest) who is the daredevil!! I am honestly surprised I haven't suffered a heart-attack from him LOL. I don't worry too much about my older son. He is more careful and knows the limit. On the other hand the younger one has to try it out to see if he can make it out alive. Ugh. Excuse me I think I am going to go count my grey hairs now LOL! Good post.

Ami said...

I used a carrot.

Slammed that sucker in the door to demonstrate to my youngest (seven at the time) exactly what could happen.

I told her that one of my own friends had slammed her brother's finger in the door and CUT IT OFF (true story) and that she was going to STOP SLAMMING THE DOOR OR ELSE!!

She is a contrary person, my daughter. She had to keep it up until the 'or else.'

I took her bedroom door away for two weeks.

She doesn't slam it anymore. And it's eight years later.

You're not crazy. You just see the potential for accident and you don't want your kids getting hurt.

Makes perfect sense to me.

HW said...

Susie -
Yes, I'm a "Dead in the ditch" kind of mom. I always see the worst possible outcome of a situation and now that the kids, and I, are older I don't stop myself from saying so. I used to try to white wash things but now I just blurt it out..."that van could fall on your head and you will be a vegetable for the rest of your life, drooling into a cup..." Things like that.