Friday, August 22, 2008

ON BEACH VOLLEYBALL

Last night I watched the U.S. Men's Beach Volleyball Team win a gold medal after winning a match against Brazil. By they way the Brazil team's shirts simply said BRA, so they had BRA 1 and BRA 2 playing out there on the sand. It could easily have turned into a sick Dr. Seuss book.

I'm not actually a big fan of beach volleyball but it was late and I was too tired to get up from the recliner so I sat there through two games and then finished watching in the bedroom. Because once I'd seen each team win a game, I simply had to see the outcome.

And it's always good to see the U.S.A. add to their gold medal count, even if you don't quite understand how a particular sport gets to be an OLYMPIC EVENT. But I feel that way about lots of the sports. I was telling my husband, although he won't remember this because I think he was asleep, that people have found a way to turn their weekend hobbies into Olympic events so they can earn a living having fun. I wish I could do that.

I just need to find a sponsor for the new U.S.A. Oreo Eating Team - Women's. Or the U.S.A. Rubber Stamping Team - Card Making event. That way all the stamping supplies I buy can be considered "training equipment" and my husband can find a way to write it off as a business expense.

Anyway, beach volleyball.

My question with any women's volleyball match is this: Why do women (and young girls) have to wear teeny tiny spandex pants to play volleyball?

And please don't say it's for ease of movement. Women play basketball in sleeveless shirts and baggy shorts, as do men.

My question for women's BEACH volleyball is: Why do the players have to wear bikinis to play beach volleyball? Please don't say it's for ease of movement, because I just saw their male counterparts playing last night in standard tank tops and baggy shorts.

Seriously, I think these women are minimizing their own image as serious athletes. I think they are selling themselves out to their sponsors who obviously have convinced them that, yes, they will put their logo on their "uniforms" but they must be as tiny as possible because we all know sex sells, and they will get more male viewers if they wear bikinis while they run around on the sand in the hot sun.

These women are great athletes, but they need to decide if they want to be known for their great athletic talent or their great bodies.

They need to decide if they want to be in Sports Illustrated or just the Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Edition.

8 comments:

Kandi said...

I watched a portion of the US women playing Brazil and found the BRA amusing as well. Not sure about why they have to wear the skimpy bikinis. So far the only event I've seen where the women don't wear skimpy outfits is the discus. Mind you, I haven't watched much of this year's Olympics.

Paul W said...

I was awake, but you really are medling here. If the IOC says it's a sport, I'm good with that. Didn't you just love those girl BMX bike racers?

Pauley

Paul W said...

I am kidding of course. Like with our legal system, I don't think the people that organized the modern Olympics at the turn of the 20th century would be pleased with what has been added to the roster of sports in the Olympics.

Susiewearsthepants said...

I missed the skimpy bathing suits as I was watching "Boys On The Side" . I know, I know, I'm so shallow. I don't think the skimpy bathing suits are necessary either. However I could be biased because I don't enough chest and have too many stretch marks to get away with wearing a skimpy bathing suit.

Anonymous said...

You are right. Simply for ratings, I think.

My question was why did they need cheerleaders to come out in bikinis and entertain the crowd when the women's volleyball players were taking a break? Weren't they just watching girls in bikinis?

HW said...

Joe -
Oh yeah! The cheerleaders. Since I didn't watch the women's team I didn't know they were "cheering" for them too. I didn't mention the cheerleaders because I figured my rant seemed prudish enough. I did notice, though, that all of them on one side looked like Chinese Barbie Dolls. Not that I'm jealous or anything...meow.

Beaner said...

I just watched a Steeplechase race last night - just plain weird!!! Who wants to jump over hurdles into a puddle of water??????

Anonymous said...

I heard a piece on this very thing on NPR the other day. They interviewed a player who said it was because of the sand getting into their tiny cracks. It seems it was for comfort after all.