Monday, August 04, 2008

A FOOD EMERGENCY LEADS TO QUALITY TIME

We just had a small emergency in the house, grocerily* speaking.

*Grocerily - (grow - SHARE - i -lee) - of her having to do with groceries, the purchasing and putting away thereof.

Blake had run out of Little Debbie Strawberry Shortcake Rolls!!

Please do not worry; we are all ok now. But things were a little frightening there for a while.

(For those of you who are not in the teenage phase of parenting, let me just give you one simple tip. Teenagers are a lot like infants - if you feed them frequently and make sure they get lots of sleep; you will go a long way in making this phase of life pleasant. Thus, my willingness to purchase these favorite snacks ASAP upon learning we were out. Plus I kind of like the kid...)

Anyway, since I had to go to the store anyway to pick up a few things for dinner, i.e. an onion, enchilada sauce and chopped green chiles (to add to the chicken breasts I cooked on Saturday) to make chicken enchiladas tonight; I told Blake I'd pick some up.

Then, wonder of wonders...Blake said he'd just go with me because "we need some food in this house."

Before I continue with this riveting story, let me just pause and talk about the meaning of "we need some food in this house..."

For a loving caring mother, the above statement means we have no fresh fruits and vegetables, no bread, no milk, no cheese, no cereal, no chicken breasts and no tuna. And no chocolate. Of course we would have to be out of ALL of these items before the "we need some food in this house" line would be considered an appropriate statement.

For teenagers, the above statement means we have no ice cream, Little Debbie snacks, frozen chicken chunks, french fries, fruit chews, pizza rolls, ice cream or poptarts. And we only have to be out of ONE of these items before the emergency alarm rings, grocerily speaking.

It does not matter if the pantry is so full I could feed our family through a week-long blizzard; it doesn't matter that the refrigerator is full enough to feed the local football team and that there is plenty of overstock in the basement freezer. If the above mentioned essentials are missing, then "we need some food in this house."

Anyway, Blake and I headed to the grocery store. I knew it would be a quick trip because Blake, like his father, is a no-nonsense shopper. Get what you need and get out. There is no strolling up and down the aisles looking for something new and exciting to put on the table. There is no hunting for sale items.

Plunk, plunk, plunk. Put the essentials in the cart and get out.

So that's what we did.

Blake chose frozen fries, some tequila lime chicken wings, some crab salad, and his beloved strawberry shortcake rolls. I chose some clementines, a pineapple and my enchilada fixings.

I think we made it from the garage and back again in 27 minutes.

And that is how a food emergency led to quality time with my son; grocerily speaking.


*I think there is something wrong with my spellcheck function. Now it is flagging "grocerily." Is anybody else having problems with theirs?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess 27 minutes of grocery shopping is better than nothing at all.

At times I like that Peanut and The Champ are still young enough that they have to come with me to the grocery store. Except when the carts that have the little cars attached are all being used. Then its hell.

Susiewearsthepants said...

What a heart warming food emergency story. It's the same around here. Little Debbie's are a must. I can barely bring myself to contemplate the fact that the reason Little Debbie's are so cheap is because they are full of crap. (In this sentence, crap meaning full of unhealthy additives, fat and preservatives, containing little or no nutritional value)

HW said...

Joe -
The little "truck carts" were just coming out at Kroger when mine were outgrowing them. Another joy my children missed out on. But what a relief for me.

Susie-
Yeah, I know, but I sure love her Fudge Brownies (hanging head in shame)

Ami said...

A major milestone in our home/lives was when Matt got his driver's license. He already had a job, so he quickly figured out that he could spend his money on all kinds of crap at the store.

Grocerily looks fine to me. Evidently Blogger has the hiccups. Just this last week it would not let me use the word homeschooling.

Oh. And taking my son shopping with me is still one of the times we have our best talks. Something about no distractions, I guess.

Jody said...

Mine are still young yet so I haven't had that pleasure with them being teens yet LOL. We did have custody of hubbys brothers back when we were frist married for a year. I know it's not the same thing but I got a hint of what it will be like when my boys get that age LOL. (hubby's brothers at the time were 13, 16, and 17).(They are all grown-ups now LOL).

HW said...

ami-
My son never has money - he would have to save it to have it. Seriously, we have to teach that child some budgeting skills.
But it is so liberating to have a child that drives (if you can ignore the suffocating fear.
I truly treasure any moments I have alone with him. You know how fleeting this time is.

Jody -
Custody of three teenagers your first year of marriage?
Oh, yeah, you know what you're doing. Talk about being thrown into the deep end...

Julie said...

I'm not sure how I found your blog, but I really enjoy your posts! I am a SAHM to two preschoolers, and it's refreshing to get perspective from someone who's been there. Yes, we use the truck carts. sigh. It's always a sign it's going to be a stellar shopping day. Usually someone is crying, fighting or sitting on side of the door like the dukes of hazzard. We're great at making a scene! :)