Thursday, February 23, 2006

You don't know who you're messin' with, buster

I think the newspaper guy will rue the day he hired this family to deliver papers. See Paul is a CPA and very....well...anal about numbers. He is keeping a very close eye on Blake's earnings and trying to figure out what he makes per paper, per day, etc. He talked to the guy in charge of carriers yesterday and said "he's worthless" but that he was now within $10.00 of having the same numbers the office has for Blake's earnings. Blake is just blissful about his earnings - he received his first paycheck - and I just hope every day that we missed nobody so he doesn't get a complaint. Each complaint costs the carrier $2. But here is Paul keeping track every day (of what, I'm not sure) so that he has a record of what Blake's pay should be. We have toyed with the idea of making Blake quit because he seems so tired some mornings, but he wants to keep going. I told Paul yesterday, we won't have to worry....the paper is going to fire him because his dad is driving them crazy with his phone calls to "compare numbers."
Thanks, Paul for your diligence. Your obsession..I mean love of ....numbers has been a blessing in lots of ways for us...finding a way to pay for that new washer, or the new van we will soon be buying. But mostly making it possible for me to stay home with our kids. I will not tell anybody that we go 3 months without balancing the checkbook and then you stay up until 2 a.m getting it to the penny - kind of like the rest of us might tackle Sudoku. That will be our little secret.
You're a good sport and I love you.

1 comment:

Beaner said...

LOL!!! I was a teller, so I used to do the checkbook. Then dwight did the checkbook for a bit. Now, I balance the checkbook & he writes out the bills. BUT.....I usually balance the checkbook to the statement every 4-5 months, but I'm committed to doing it monthly after missing a semi-large amount in the register that would have been caught if I was balancing it properly. Busted!