Friday, March 03, 2006

aaaaaahm! I'm telllllllllling..........

Reading Beaner's report on the puppy made me think of our first few weeks with Cookie. Kayla was four. She spent the first 2 weeks standing on a chair crying any time the puppy was around. Not a good sign. She soon became best buddies with her though.
One day after she was (we thought) completely housebroken, I was ironing in my bedroom, Kayla was playing on my bed beside me and the puppy was just bouncing around. Then Cookie just came up beside me and made a mess right there on my bedroom carpet!!!
Now before I go on I will tell you that our kids were taught that certain words were naughty:
stupid, idiot, shut up...
Ok, so I grabbed that puppy by the collar and dragged her down the hall toward the garage door grumbling through gritted teeth something like "you STUPID, WORTHLESS, IDIOT puppy, no good...bad doggie...." I put her in her crate and said "NO, NO!" Well, Kayla heard Stupid and Idiot and she looked up at me and shook her finger and said "I'M. TELLING. DADDY. EVERY. NAUGHTY. WORD. YOU. JUST. SAID. And, mommy she's not stupid, she's just a baby and doesn't know any better." Anybody ever feel teeny tiny like that...?

1 comment:

Beaner said...

Jess is acting a bit scared too (and our last dog, Toby, bit her when she was younger, so she has good reason to be apprehensive)

I'm trying to teach her that she can't let the dog know that she's scared. Jess does good most of the time with her - it's just when the dog barks or starts nipping (she's teething)

I'm glad to know that things worked out between Kayla & Cookie (and between you & Cookie too!)