Wednesday, March 08, 2006

another priceless moment

It happened again last night. Strange how so many of my happy times seem to occur at a sporting event. I AM NOT IN THE LEAST BIT ATHLETIC. But you go where the kids go at this phase in life so....

We were in Bloomington last night to watch our varsity team WIN the super sectional game. We now advance to state. Because of the way the tickets were sold, we had to sit as a family. Kayla was not with the "sixth grade rowdies" and Blake was not in his usualy front row spot with all of his buddies. We ate dinner out first and then sat as a family. The kids not only tolerated us, they seemed to enjoy us. I could tell that Paul and Blake were having a great time together and Kayla even "high-fived" me as we won in the last second. She did, however, have to instruct me when to sit down and when to stand up so that I would not embarrass her ( I guess she assumed I was off duty in that regard in my job as mom) so I did my best to follow directions. I could hear my friend behind me getting similar instructins from her daughter "uh, mom, you need to, like, stop jumping...."
Anyway, for the game on Friday, Blake got smart and found a way to get a ticket in the student section - no adults. And Kayla has asked to bring a friend. She will sit with us but will not have to acknowledge us except to ask for money and perhaps to give me the sit or stand command. That's ok. That means I can sit by Paul and gently admonish him to stay calm.

Yes, Paul got rowdy last night and yelled at the refs; something about how they were making each other look like fools out there. I told him he was close enough to the floor that they could eject him. Now Paul is a very gentle man who is kind and tolerant and patient....but something about a bad call at a game brings forth a demon. He says even the most godly of men get this way at sporting events ( I started listing off men who I thought would NEVER behave that way)
Is this true? Of course, I know it's not just men. I saw some women flailing their arms as they screamed. And, I promise you, at a wrestling meet recently one of our team grandmas was yelling "KILL HIM, KILL HIM..."

And, honey, if you're reading this - I knew you wouldn't mind because you're such a good sport.

4 comments:

Chris said...

"A good sport" yes - just don't make him mad...! LOL!

Beaner said...

My BIGGEST pet peeve is people who yell at refs. Just don't even go there!

Paul W said...

You see, it is all semantics....I wasn't yelling at the refs. I was simply pointing out the fact to one of the 3-man officiating crew that by allowing one of the other refs to make all the calls (minor point...up to then, all the calls were going against our team), he was allowing himself to look really bad. I was acting in his best interest, encouraging him to blow his whistle a little so as to not be lumped in with his partner and get a very poor report card from the IHSA. I was really being quite self-less if you ask me. I came away with a slighly sore throat after-all.

: )

Beaner said...

ROFL!!!! Yeah....semantics! ;)