Thursday, March 23, 2006

I kinda just want to eat my dinner and go.....

Kayla and I just ate and Texas Roadhouse and my cheeks hurt from smiling and being polite to the wait staff for an hour.
See, when Paul travels, I usually take the kids to dinner one night. Well, Blake could not squeeze us into his schedule so it was just us girls and Kayla picked roadhouse. I know I'm getting old because I think that place is just too loud. Anyway, we walk in and the kid gets the rolls and then I know the script. He will lead us to our table and while he is walking he will turn backward(which, by the way, could be dangerous) toward us and ask "Have you been here before?" I wonder what would happen if I said NO. Would he stop and scream "Hey everybody we have a first timer."? Would I get my meal for free? Would we be hazed in some way. So when we say YES he will say "welcome back."
Thank you, I'll say. Then the waitress will come and say "Have you been here before?" Yes. "Great. Then you know about our homemade bread, our salads, homemade dressing, our steaks, and our fall- off- the- bone ribs...?" Yep. Know all about that. "Ok then, can I get you a drink from the bar?" (Well, if this questioning keeps up, probably) No, just iced tea and a diet pepsi. "Ok, then how about an onion blossom?" No, thanks.
I know, I know. They are just trying to be nice. But really, don't most of us know how to behave in a restaurant? Don't most of us know to look at the menu and let them know if we want an appetizer? Aren't most of us smart enough to order the drink we want without being reminded there is a bar in the restuarant? I mean, I have never heard a person, when asked if they'd like a drink from the bar, respond with "oh my gosh, you have a bar here? I had no idea. Thank goodness you told me. Yes, please bring me a cocktail!" It just seems like such an effort to be polite and keep smiling when it takes 15 minutes just to get to the point of giving our order. Even Kayla said about the waitress "she is really perky!"
And it's not just restaurants. Seems you can't make a purchase anywhere without being asked "do you have our rewards card?" "Would you like to sign up?" "Would you like to receive a free subscription to....?" "Would you like a special low interest Visa to save even more at Sears?"
Arrgggggh!! I just want to give you my money and take my purchases home and hear somebody say "ya'll have a good day." Simple as that.

No comments: