Monday, March 06, 2006

be careful what you wish for....

I have a few friends who were stay-at-home moms and had jobs fall into their laps. People sought them out and basically said "you'd be just right for this position..."
I've always said I want that to happen to me. Well, I think it did today.
A friend called and said her husband is looking for a phone receptionist part time just until summer. YIKES!!!! She gave me his office number and told me to call and let him know if I was interested.

Here are my concerns:

I have not worked outside the home for 15 years. I feel totally ill equipped to handle a job in an office today. I just want to say "you have no idea how incompetent I probably am...."

I went to church with this man for 12 years. He is an elder at this church and I was pretty close to his wife. Is it good to work for somebody that I know that well? Also, he and his wife are not at all shy about saying things like "when are you going to get tired of driving that distance and come back to church with us?"

Kids still get sick even when mom only works part time. If Paul is in town, he can do the pick up thing. But if he is out of the country (which is often) it will fall to me. I will have to be sure that any employer will not have a problem with me running to pick up a sick kid in the middle of the day, at least until we come up with a plan B - perhaps ask a neighbor if she'd be willing to do that for me should the need arise.

Paul and I had just decided I would not go back to work for awhile. He just took a new position that will require MORE travel and we decided it would be best for our kids for me to still be home full time.

Here are the positive things about this opportunity:

How fortunate to be able to work for a good Christian man who I know will expect good work, but is still kind hearted and a decent human being. Paul says he does not know anybody more professional than Bill. Of course there will be others in the office to answer to also.....
I doubt church will be mentioned in the work place (see comment on professionalism) at least not in the context of urging me to return.

It is part time and temporary. It will be a good way to get my feet wet and re-enter the work world gradually. It will be good to be done by summer. My kids are too old for a sitter, but I don't want them home alone all day every day through the summer.

I will be bringing home a paycheck - not a big one, but a contribution to the family finances. And with college less than 5 years away......

It will build my self confidence, if I succeed at this.

Is this God speaking to me - telling me that this is that opportunity I've been waiting for?

I guess I will call him tomorrow and get some more details. I will pray about this tonight and ask for your prayers and also any advice/comments.

1 comment:

Beaner said...

Well....if he's a good friend, then he might be more willing to let you have time off with sick kids. Maybe bring up these concerns with him & ask him how he would handle it ahead of time. Sounds like the kind of job I'll be looking for soon - one with my summers off to enjoy my kids, but something to bring in a little extra money.
Praying.....