Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Yikes! Maybe this job interview thing isn't such a good idea. I'm working on my resume and it is hard to make 15 years of raising children sound impressive to most of society.

My career pre-children was pretty exciting. I was responsible for the care-plans and admission records of 127 mentally ill residents - most of them schizophrenic. I made it through state inspections from the Department of Public Aid and Department of Public Health. I butted heads with my boss daily if all 127 beds were not occupied. No resident- no state payment you know. She had never heard the old "can't get blood from a turnip" thing I guess. If there is no mentally ill person needing our services out there today, then where should I find one...? Anyway, I really liked that job most of the time. My field work for college was in the VA hospital in Little Rock. I worked in the Primary Care Clinic and the Oncology clinic. So I HAVE done important adult work in my life. But now...

Most people aren't interested in the daily grind of life for a homemaker and mom. You know,
balancing two sick kids on the day you are responsible for organizing and serving lunch for 60 school staff members and your husband is in Toronto. Or sending one kid in for surgery to finalize the repair of his broken finger, the day after the other kid breaks hers on the softball field - while your husband is in London. Two kids with casts on their hands at the same time looks a little suspicious - but anyway...
How about feeding and controlling six hungry 13&14 year old football players after practice LOTS of times (try walking into Blake's bedroom when they are all in there before their showers......whew!)
How about driving a van load of kids EVERYWHERE because your house is the kool-aid house and it just seems natural now that every seat will be full. ( Has NOBODY thought of putting a sound proof shield between the front and back seats??? Are none of those engineers parents?)
How about being called at 11:30 one day and hearing "Mrs. Woolard, Mrs. Beal's class has no Valentine Party organized for TODAY at 1:00 - could you throw something together and come in...?" Now that's organized AND brave.
How about french braiding 4 girls' hair in 15 minutes because they had to look alike for their volleyball game. Now that's staying calm under pressure.
But all this - as all mom's know is hard to put down on paper. You just gotta live it. And I know it's not just stay-at-home moms who juggle and struggle. Working moms have it worse I'm sure. I have just finally come to that point in my life where I really feel like I have to justify the last 15 years of my life. That's hard to do on a one page resume.
I wonder if they'd like to see my photo albums..........

1 comment:

Beaner said...

You are scaring me. I'll be in your position very soon & the mere thought of doing my resume has me rethinking things!!!
(Do you get to use Blake & Kayla as references???)