Wednesday, December 24, 2008

CEREAL GATE

We have a Lucky Charm situation going on in our house.

The other day at the grocery store, Kayla picked up a box of Lucky Charms. It was a small box and I knew it was too small to survive long in the jungle that is our kitchen but I didn't have my act together enough to say "Go get a big strong box that will last in the wilds of the W house." I thought it; I just didn't form the words.

About 27 hours later, the Lucky Charms were no longer with us.

At the end Blake poured out half a bowl and got all that sad powder stuff that settles at the bottom of the box and he said "What's the deal with my Lucky Charms? Who ate 'em all?"

And I replied "Your sister actually picked those up and your father and I actually paid for them, so I'm not sure you can claim ownership of the Lucky Charms."

Na Na Na Na Boo Boo.

Then when Kayla got home from basketball practice, the poor thing looked high and low for the Lucky Charms only to have to face the dreaded fact that the Lucky Charms were no longer with us. There, in the deep recesses of the garbage can, lay the remains of the Lucky Charms box.

It is indeed a difficult thing to see your child's heart broken.

"Great! Who ate all my Lucky Charms?"

"Your brother."

Confession: I ate a bowl (or two) during those 27 hours, but we'll keep that to ourselves. M'kay?

But I have no problem at all throwing one of my own offspring under the bus when it comes to Lucky Charms.

I'd also like to note the interesting use of the word "MY" as each of the kids was talking about the beloved Lucky Charms. Although, Kayla certainly had more right to claim ownership than Blake. I mean, she did make that long walk down the cereal aisle and make the Lucky Charm decision.

So when Paul made his next trip to the grocery store (poor Paul - he's been to the store a lot these past several days) I told him it was imperative that we buy more Lucky Charms. Two Big Boxes.

We have a cereal war brewing here and I do not want blood shed over the Christmas Holidays.

And now both boxes are sitting OPENED on the counter. I can only assume that each box has a specific owner and that some sort of special entry code is required to ensure that only authorized personnel enter it's sugary goodness.

I'm thinking, though, that I can crack each code.

And then blame one of the kids.

2 comments:

Obi-Mom Kenobi said...

It was Fruity Pebbles at our house growing up. One tiny little box and three kids all claiming ownership.

Roxanne said...

Thankfully you did not have to cram the Lucky Charms in the shoe boxes. :)