Wednesday, December 17, 2008

SIMPLE

Monday night, since it was a balmy ten degrees, Paul and I decided to head on over to the girls basketball game. You know. Take advantage of the nice weather and all before it gets REALLY cold.

Actually, it was a JV/Varsity game, and sometimes Kayla plays JV so we like to go if we can just in case she gets in.

She didn't get in, but it was still nice to be out socializing in the bleachers.

Plus there was that nice weather to enjoy.

Sometime during the evening I wandered into the cafegymatorium because one of my friends was in there decorating the stage for a concert the next night.

Her little girl was with her (I think she's eight) so I struck up the typical week-before-Christmas conversation with her.

"So, what do you want from Santa?"

"Some yellow nail polish, some blue nail polish and some grippers."

"Oh, what are grippers?"

"Those things that go on a pencil to keep your fingers from getting sores when you grip your pencil."

"Cool. What else do you want?"

"That's all."

"Wow! Santa's elves love lists like yours."

And I gave a conspiratorial look to her mom and asked with my eyes "is she for real?"and her mom said that probably Santa would throw in a few other things but that those three items were all her daughter was asking for.

And that little girl's Christmas list has stuck with me for two days.

How sweet, in this age of ipods and video games, cell phones and uggs, this little girl was asking for three items that could be found at Wal-greens.

Somebody already knows that simple is sometimes best.

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

When my daughter was 3 1/2 (and her baby brother was 6 months old) she told Santa that she wanted a tree with lights. That was it. Due to the new baby and the little girl and a busy Daddy, we had not yet picked out our tree. Santa fixed a stern eye on me and said, "I'm assuming you will be helping me out with that SOON?"

Boy, did I ever.