Friday, December 05, 2008

EATING LIGHT

When my son asked me to pack him a lunch for his all-day wrestling meet tomorrow, I was on it in an instant. I actually made a list. A list that makes it look like he's hiking across Alaska this weekend - like perhaps he'll be gone for a week instead of twelve hours.

I can't help myself.

He just inspected his lunch and found:

3 sandwiches - 1 ham and cheese; 1 chicken and cheese; 1 ham, chicken and cheese

3 Colby jack cheese sticks

2 apples

2 strawberry cereal bars

2 small boxes of dried cranberries

2 juice boxes

1 banana

1 sandwich bag full of cashews

money for supper on the way home

4 bottles of water waiting in the fridge for him.

What did I get for my all careful planning and efforts?

A big fat "This is perfect, Mom. Thanks." And a big ole' hug from my favorite wrestler.

Life is good.

2 comments:

Mike said...

And they say it doesn't take much to get the appreciation from your teenager.

Yeah right, just a BIG ole lunch is all.

Roxanne said...

I do not have to make lunches of QUITE that magnitude just yet, but I am glad for the example as my now 7 year old son is "scheduled" to be about 6'4".

When he was 3, there were 2 high school boys that worked at his mother's-day-out after school. I once made brownies for the faculty, but for each of the boys I STACKED a plate full of brownies and brought each a pint of milk. I asked my husband if a pint was enough, and he said "To start with."