Thursday, December 18, 2008

NEGOTIATIONS

Last weekend I was approached by a very important person who asked me to make some greeting cards for the women in his office.

The conversation went something like this:

VIP: Hello, I'm a very important person and I think the women in my office would love some greeting cards. Can you set me up by Friday?

HW: I sure can. But I need to let you know I usually charge ten dollars for a set of four. And by usually I mean twice. Twice I have sold greeting cards - once to a good friend who wanted to prove to me that they would sell easily and once to my mother. But they both paid me ten dollars. And in these tough economic times I'm afraid I cannot offer any discounts. I have a family to not support. Anyway, how many women are in your office?

VIP: Four, but I only need three sets. One of them doesn't do anything for me.

HW: Oh, well that's a nice holiday attitude. Nothing exemplifies the spirit of Christ and the joy of giving by only giving to those who do something for you. I'll make four sets and you will give four sets.

Because I'm a very bossy and judgmental business woman.

VIP: ALLLLRIIIIIIGHT. Not Christmas cards - something they can use all winter.

HW: So four sets of winter themed note cards. Let's talk color schemes and styles.

VIP: Huh?

HW: Will these women want whimsical cards? Country cards? Elegant cards? Do they like soft colors? Rich colors? Bright colors?

VIP: Four sets of winter themed note cards.

HW: Okay, but would they like cutesy cards? Funny cards? Elegant cards? Whimsical cards? How about sparkles? I think I'll put some bling on them. Would that be okay? What woman doesn't like bling?

VIP: Four sets of winter themed note cards.

HW: Is there a female I can speak to about this order? And how will you be paying? I don't except credit cards - cash or check only.

VIP: Can I work it out in trade? And then he winked at me.... the nerve!!

So tomorrow is my deadline and I need to get busy to complete this ever so important job. Although I must say I've never had such a difficult customer. My other customers have been much easier to work with.

Both of them.

I'm really hoping we can settle this matter in a favorable way. If this customer doesn't pay my asking price, my husband won't be getting a Christmas gift.



1 comment:

Paul W said...

Ok...I'll pay the full price, but I do get a commission on any new business this generates for you.

Pauley