Friday, December 26, 2008

ONE BOX GIVING

A few weeks ago while we were filling shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child, I was overwhelmed at the thought of a child receiving ONE SMALL SHOE BOX for Christmas. That's all - one box filled with modest gifts. As we filled our boxes and did our best to cram as much into them as possible, I knew without a doubt that the children who received these boxes would be thrilled with their little shoe box of treasures - treasures that most American children would barely give a second glance.

So I made a decision to start a new tradition in the W household.

"Kids, we're starting something new. Every one of your Christmas gifts will fit into ONE shoebox for each of you. We're going to gain some perspective on how blessed we are."

"Cool."

Which was not exactly the response I was expecting. Don't get me wrong. I knew they would come around to the idea pretty easily; I was just hoping the prospect of one tiny shoe box for Christmas would cause them a little more angst. It just doesn't seem like much of a lesson if they say "Cool," while you're presenting it. And I was really hoping to upset them a little more this holiday season.

Anyway.

I must say the challenge was more mine than theirs. It was I who had to continue to reign myself in with the gift buying. With each purchase I made I had to ask myself "Will this fit into the shoebox, along with everything else I've bought?" Then it actually became fun to challenge myself to find small items that each of the kids would enjoy and that would fit into one shoe box.

And make no mistake, these were SHOE boxes. I would not allow Blake to give me his cowboy boot box, nor would I allow Kayla to give me the box from her high-top basketball shoes (she wears a size ten) Each of them got a box from my closet - a box that had once held a size 7 1/2 ladies loafer.

And you know what?

We did it.

Each of the kids received one shoe box for Christmas (along with their stocking full of candy). And each of them was very pleased with the contents.

I certainly realize that it does not make much of a statement on moderation when we are blessed with the means to buy an ipod touch for each child; and an ipod touch certainly fits into a shoebox. I realize that we have a ways to go on getting back to the basics when our kids' gifts did not all come from the Dollar Store. But it's a start.

Our kids did not see a pile of gifts spreading out over our carpet like in years past. They saw two small boxes and each of them received one of them.

And they were happy, and I was proud as can be.

And a tradition was started.
*********************

Things I was able to put in each box besides the ipod touch (hanging head in shame)

an itune gift card

3 or four shirts - rolled tightly

a small bottle of cologne or perfume

a wallet for Blake and a change purse for Kayla

two tubes of chap stick with our school logo on it

two pair of panties or boxer shorts (sorry kids)

a gift card for one meal at their favorite restaurant

a gift card for ten dollars at their favorite mall store

a necklace for Kayla and an extra shirt for Blake

sunglasses
**************
I must also add that in their stockings, each of them received a Pooping Candy Dispenser. Blake got a little reindeer that pooped little sour pellets and Kayla got a snowman that pooped little sour pellets.

Because nothing signifies the spirit of Christmas more than cheap plastic toys that defecate in rainbow colors. Oh, and they sing while they poop. And I was the one saying "You gotta take those to Grandma's house. Grandpa will love them."

Is it any wonder that this evening Blake said "Mom, you're kinda goofy...."

2 comments:

Ms. Judy said...

Congrats on reaching your one shoebox goal! Next year will be all handmade gifts, right? :)

Susiewearsthepants said...

I know just what you mean. I shamefully bought Keri an electric scooter for Christmas this year. Shame on me! Shame! We did however donate a present to Keri's school. They adopted a little girl for Christmas and we pitched in. So maybe that cancels out the electric scooter thing....maybe?