Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I THINK THE TIME HAS COME

The vet encouraged us to bring Boomer home today and see if he would eat and drink for us, since he refused anything by mouth while at the clinic.

He won't eat or drink for us.

The poor baby has been hiding under Kayla's bed.

He never hides under Kayla's bed.

Cats go to hard-to-find spots when they feel lousy.

The vet has called to check on him and, based on all the things she told me to look for (to hope for) I told her I think we will be bringing Boomer back tomorrow so that we can tell him goodbye.

She assured me that any decision we made, based on all of his blood counts, etc, is a valid decision. If his counts were half what they are, she would encourage us to hold out hope, but being what they are, she does not think it is wrong to relieve his suffering.

If he rebounds from this (which is doubtful) it will be short lived. I do not want to see him get well only to know that he has more suffering in his future, most likely every few months. None of us needs that.

I know he's just a cat. Somebody - a non cat lover, to be sure - once asked me what purpose this cat served. Why have a cat?

All I could say was that he makes me smile.

That's all. He makes me smile several times a day.

And really, isn't that an okay purpose to have in life?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I personally think pets are with us just for the smiles. It doesn't take a lot more to please most of us from an animal.
I'm sorry you are having to go through this now...........thinking good thoughts for you at this difficult time.

Kandi said...

Cats are good for smiles (if you're not afraid of most of them like I am). I'll be thinking of you!!

Also, Happy New Year! :)

Roxanne said...

I am sorry that your kitty is not going to get well. I would love to have a cat, but they make me incapable of breathing oxygen into and out of my lungs, so an outdoor kitty is all we can hope for. Meanwhile, my little orphan puppy, Joss, has not shown up at our house the past two times we've been out there. I don't know what happened to her. :(