Sunday, December 21, 2008

UM,YEAH...I'D SAY IT'S WINTER

On our way to church this morning the car thermometer said 2 degrees. By the time we got to church, it was zero. ZERO. DEGREES.

I guess the fall in temperature was because we were driving north.

At one o'clock this afternoon, as we were headed to lunch with Paul's family, the temperature had reached four degrees.

So I immediately raced home and took inventory of our sunscreen.

We're going to the pool, kids - grab your floaties.

At about six this evening we discovered we have a frozen water pipe. Thankfully our bathroom is the only room so far with a frozen pipe.

We have space heaters blowing hot air into our bathroom cabinets to warm the pipes. (We are a fireman's nightmare)

These pipes MUST NOT BURST.

We have our thermostat set on 70. Our thermostat is NEVER set on 70 in the winter. I guess it would defeat the purpose for me to crack a window so I could sleep better. It's hot in our bedroom.

These pipes MUST NOT BURST.

Our bathroom is upstairs and the pipes are housed in a wall that is part of the garage, thus the reason it froze first, I guess. The inside of that wall is our dining room. If that pipe bursts, it will be the dining room wall that has to come down.

I do not want to redecorate my dining room.

These pipes MUST NOT BURST.

We've taken all the steps we know to take and now we are just lying around waiting to see what disaster will hit us first.

Flood or Fire.

It's just a merry little winter wonderland around here.

5 comments:

Kandi said...

Oh geez! I hope everything works out!! It was 14 degrees here this morning and I thought that was cold. You must think I live in the tropics!!

Roxanne said...

The good news is that if, despite your best warming efforts, the pipes DO burst, they can put out the fire from the space heaters.

Boo-yah.

I sincerely hope that your pipes do not burst. And the coldest weather I've ever endured was 11 degrees in northeastern Louisiana in my childhood. I cannot imagine 0 degrees. . .nor going to church in that. I assume you were wearing pants.

HW said...

Roxanne,

Thanks for making me see the silver lining - fire first, then flood.

Yes I was wearing slacks to church. Most people were actually in jeans - we go to a very casual church.

By the way, our water started flowing late this morning.

We are hoopin' and hollerin'.

Roxanne said...

Yes, but it's an EXTINGUISHING flood. That right there is the key.

Glad that you didn't have to endure either. It's 35 in Houston right this second and we are all freezing to death, so I admit to being a wimp.

Susiewearsthepants said...

I wont disgust by mentioning the temperatures here in TN. I must be silent